Monday, November 3, 2014

Don't Do Cookie Cutter

I have spent all my years working on my online courses working hard NOT to fall into the ‘cookie cutter’ mode. What I mean is I work to avoid, at all costs, posting publisher-provided power point lectures, followed by publisher-provided handouts, culminating in publisher-provided assessments. Blah! Yuck! Spew! If an instructor was going to do that, then why don’t we just hire more ITS guys to post this stuff for us and then the instructor would really not have to do anything, heck maybe we don’t even need that instructor. (Note, this is not a bash on ITS guys since they are the BEST and we would be pretty much a body full of ideas and no one to help us get the ideas into reality… it is about instructors just being ‘up loaders’ and not ‘instructors’). So, what I am saying is I try to ‘teach’ and ‘create’ from scratch, every idea I want to get across. I have a textbook I recommend student use to follow along (of course they don’t need the high dollar newest version since I teach anatomy and no one has spouted new arms lately so it does not change much). But I make my videos, supplemental material and exams based on the learning outcomes and the content I put together. But has it worked out? I spent years avoiding the ‘plug-and-play’ from the publisher-provided content and web sites. Buuuuut…. this semester, I decided to play with fire. Can I play with the ‘publisher gadgets’ and still be original. Can I be authentic? 

So here is what I did. I had my students pay for access to a publisher provided online virtual cadaver program ($35.00). I was thinking, that just giving them the ‘goodie bag’ of sheep brains and eyeballs may not be enough. The online images I have are not that great and the publisher lured me in with great imagery and content…. but don’t they all? I was looking for a program or book or CD or app that my students could use that would show them cadaver images (quality images not gross ones, if there is such a thing for cadavers). This was important to me because a few years ago (when I last dabbled in this and used a program from another publisher) one of the comments on my student evaluation was about the images they had to view “looked like a coyote got to it before the photographer did”. After that I had sworn off this type of content and doubled my efforts to make ALL of my own content without ANY help from the publisher. 

However, the program I found, I have to say has the best images I have seen. I am pretty excited that it even lets you use a slider bar to look deeper into the body so you can see the relationship of one feature to the next. In addition, with just the click of a button, you can have all the instructor-designated features shown so students know what they are supposed to be looking for (the program has a list that an instructor chooses their features from so there are no items labeled that they don’t need to know). That was exactly what I was looking for. Then the bonus, it included microscope slides and radiologic images (x-ray, MRI, PET scans). 

But how do I use it and still make my class, my class? Well the answer is I don’t know, but I like the program and I am working to integrate it into the class like a lab that they can do from home. In fact the cadaver images and slides are better than what they would see if they were in the classroom. The bottom line is that I have my standards and I can evolve and incorporate or throw out things as I go along. And just because I used the ‘coyote-ate’ images years ago, I was not so scarred to not give it another try. That is a day in the life of an online instructor that just can’t leave well enough alone and just do the same thing over again. Never stagnate, keep changing and mostly keep evolving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment